If you are doing your own research on the matter of electric shavers and their types then you must have come across the terms “Rotary Shavers” and “Foil Shavers” and you will probably be looking to know more about these electric shaver types. In search of answers you have arrived at this publication and in this publication we are going to discuss everything there is to know about rotary electric shavers, foil electric shavers and trimmers as well along with their benefits and the disadvantages. We will also throw in some extra tips that are based on personal experiences so that you get to know as much there is to know about these electric shavers. So let’s get started.
Let’s start with Rotary Electric Shavers.
Rotary Electric Shaver
Rotary shavers have been around for over 4 decades now since they were introduced by Philips in the 60s. Rotary shavers work in combination of 3 or 4 rotating circular blades which lift the hair as they move about on your face and the blades inside the rotating head cut them. The rotary shavers that are available in the market today mostly have pivoting heads which allows them to adjust to the contours of your face during the shave.
Rotary shavers are better for the individuals who have thick facial hair or don’t like to shave everyday. The rotary shaver also provides a closer shave and can easily handle ingrown hairs. To operate the rotary shaver you have to move it in a circular motion on your face to have get a comfortable and close shave.
Advantages of Rotary Shaver
- Provides a good all round shave and is much more refined.
- Men who have thick or fast growing facial hair will be better off with rotary shavers as they can handle this hair type easily due to it’s blade mechanism.
- Men who prefer not to shave daily will have more hair to shave after longer duration they will be better off with rotary shaver as well.
Disadvantages of Rotary Shaver
- If you have a sensitive facial skin type than rotary shaver will not prove to be a great option for you since the blades come in direct contact with the skin causing irritation and redness. You can try to apply less pressure on the rotary shaver during shave and let the shaver do more of the work but it will not be very useful if you have very sensitive skin.
- If you are looking for an electric shaver which can provide you with precise shave around the sideburn and moustache region than rotary shaver is not for you as it is not built for precision shaving.
Foil Electric Shaver
Foil electric shaver is very different from the rotary shaver as it has oscillating blades inside doing all the work with a thin foil covering them up. The foil on these electric shavers serve a crucial purpose, the first one is that the foil helps to lift the facial hair and the blades cut them and the other purpose of the foil is very important as it defines the users of these electric shavers, that purpose is to act as a barrier between the skin and the blades and there is very little skin to blade contact on these shavers. This in return makes the shave more comfortable as compared to rotary shavers and also it is friendly to the sensitive facial skin, reducing or eliminating the factor of redness and irritation.
There are two common variants of these electric shavers available in the market, a three and four blade variant. The four blade variant offers a closer shave than the three blade variant. The movement of these shavers is also different from the ones of the rotary shavers as you have to move the shaver in a straight line on your face to get the most comfortable and clean shave out of foil electric shavers.
Advantages of Foil Electric Shaver
- Offers Precision Shaving.
- Offers Close Shave.
- Men who have sensitive skin types can use foil based shavers to reduce the irritation and skin redness due to shaving.
Disadvantages of Foil Electric Shaver
- If you are moving away from rotary shavers to foil shavers it takes some getting used to the new shaving angle and shaving technique of foil based shavers.
- Lower price range models don’t come with pivoting head and the higher end models with pivoting head don’t have as better angle as you get in a rotary shaver. So angular face will have trouble getting a close shave through the tricky areas of the face.
Beard Trimmer & Hair Clipper
If you are not a very keen shaver or don’t really care about finesse when it comes to your facial hair or you just want a more stubble look you can go for a beard trimmer or a hair clipper that you often see being used in a barber shop. These trimmers and clippers are all rounders and can be used on the face and on the head to trim your hairs. The blades on these trimmers operate by sideway motion and have to be used in a straight line angle to get the best results.
Advantages of Beard Trimmer & Hair Clipper
- Can be used on any hair type i.e. head or the face.
- Best for achieving and maintaining a stubble look.
- Since these clippers are not built for close shave you can have a quick trim in about couple of minutes and can go on with your day.
Disadvantages of Beard Trimmer & Hair Clipper
- If you push the line trying to achieve a close shave it will probably leave you with stingy skin or even a rash or two.
- Not made for precision shave.
- These trimmers are not for everyone.
Word on Electric Shavers
We recommend that you don’t follow the exact information given out here as one electric shaver cannot cater to a specific skin type, it’s better to have hands on experience with a shaver to know which suits you the best according to your skin type and shaving style. The information shared in this publication is for a general idea to point you in the right direction.
- Go for High End Models if you have thick facial hair
- Go for Mid Range to High End Models if you have medium beard
- Go for a Budget Shaver or a Trimmer if you have light facial hair, depending on the results you want to achieve
We hope you will find this publication useful and by the time you are done with it you will have a clearer picture of the electric shavers that are out there in the market and which type will be better suited to you.